Saturday, May 8, 2010

Site #16

Where is yours? Mine is space # 16. Moose horn, the campground in the high Uintahs. It’s my favorite location on this depressing, filthy, mucky earth. A manmade lake with rainbow trout bred and dropped weekly into the water hole. Dirt everywhere. No flushable toilets. Very little running water. Snow one minute and the next perfect, sunny bliss. Cans and cans of bug spray. The crisp, clean, fresh smell of pine, oak and all sorts of natural cleanliness succumbing me. It’s quiet, calm and tech free….almost. I wake up whenever I feel, grab my ponytail, brush and hat. Do my do with no mirror and head to face the freeness of my day. Eat grease filled sausages, bacon, pancakes hash browns and orange juice. Then it’s down to the man made water hole that is protected by the bald mountain. This is the only time my brother and I get to hang out. We go to our side of the lake where the younger cousins aren’t allowed to venture due to the minimal danger that could arise. We cast our worms; sit in our chairs with books in our laps and just talk. Talk about everything, yet talk about nothing. We listen to music…that’s the one tech device we allow…and just enjoy it. After that my 26 small cousins tear him apart. I finish reading or take a nap while he entertains and keeps the small ones safe….and give the parentals time to be adult kids instead of adults. I miss that. He is gone for two years and we are going camping this year. It’s going to be weird, it’s going to different but I can’t wait for the time when I jump out of the car and take a big whiff of the clean, crisp, out house smell filled air.

No comments:

Post a Comment