Sunday, May 16, 2010

The Death Penalty

This delightful Sunday afternoon, Brian and I were enjoying a charming, humorous episode of Bones. We were enjoying the quirky remarks of the hidden love between the two protagonists; Ms. Brennian Bones and Mr. Seely Booth, when suddenly something about the episode made me jolt and think, “I have to blog about this.” Dog fighting and murder by dog. I am sure this wasn’t the title of the episode, but that single sentence is a good summary of the 43 minutes that I was thinking about this.  A man was involved in dog fighting, which in its self is one of the must inhuman, ritualistic showings of sought after power between men (men symbolizing all man kind) all shown though avataristic dogs. The way these dogs perform is symbolistic of the strong, powerful men that sit back at watch their bravery on stage play out. Of course I am displaying a number of examples of sarcasm and now that I have stepped up on my soap box, I will take one step down…because my soap box is multiple levels. Now this is a gloomy but important introduction in to my real topic, murder by dog. Dogs are here to please their master, and in this episode a dog was pleasing his master and obeying orders when he was ordered to attack a man who was going to turn in his master’s dog fighting business. The man died. He was murdered by the master. The murder weapon….the dog.  Once the murder was solved, the dog was killed; the man was planted in prison. The dog dies, the man lives….OK??  Where in the book of logic does this make a lick of sense?  A loyal and obedient canine, not knowing right from wrong, is put to death just because no one wants to give him the chance to kill again, yet when with out a shadow of a doubt we know man murders man, either the sentence is prison for to short of time or death row which then results in two endings; release or decades of parole hearings until it’s just been too long to sentence the murderer. I have come to realize life isn’t fair, equal and sometimes, flat out cruel. But this just pisses me off. The same day the dog is killed for our protection and the man goes on living and breathing the air that should only be breathed to those that obey the laws of conscience.  I am still on my soap box about those sadistic people, I will not call them parents,  they weren’t. But they killed that father’s 5 year old son with no sympathy and they still live. Give it 20 years, they still will be here breathing my air and yours, eating my food and yours and using our money to live. 

No comments:

Post a Comment