Monday, May 10, 2010

Perception affects the Samaritan

I wrote a few days ago about a man in a wheel chair that had dropped his things, and no one was willing to stop and help him. Well I saw just the opposite yesterday. At first it made me glad, but the more I thought about it, it made me even more upset than I was when no one helped that young man. So here it is. It was a lovely, Sunday afternoon. It was also mother’s day. Brian and I were passing through a busy intersection where three cars had their emergency lights on. One car was the victim, two others were good Samaritans dressed in a suit and tie. It was Sunday like I previously said. The victim’s car had stopped and the Samaritans were helping push the car to the side of the road. The victim was an older woman. Not dying but older, maybe in her late 50’s. Traffic was backed up, but people were nice about it. Was it because it was a Sunday, or mother’s day or was it because in this case, it was a sweet looking older lady? It was then that I determined our perception of people determines our generosity towards others. The wheel chair man looked raged, poor and quite honestly, like someone I would not like to have behind me if I were alone. The older women though, who couldn’t stop to help her? Especially on a Sunday and with it being Mother’s day? All I am saying is this world is sad. Sad that we judge on who we will stop to help based on their appearances. But society has done that to us. We hear stories and then based on those people in those stories, it influences our judgments. You don’t hear too often of 50 year old woman with a broken down car mudding her Samaritans. So it's safe to help her.

2 comments:

  1. I MUST comment on this one. On Tuesday, I was driving home and Pam's (my car) timing belt broke which caused my car to stop working, obviously. I waited with my hazards on for about 6 min and hoped someone would offer to help me push my vehicle across two lanes of traffic. Help didn't come. So I got out started pushing my car AND steering it all by my lonesome (thank goodness for soccer legs) as I got out of my lane and started to cross the other the backed up cars started to get antsy and pulled out from behind the pack only to see my lonesome self heavy this car and steering all by myself. Did they decide I needed help? No. Did they stop in the lane and block traffic for me? No. They gave me a dirty look and zoomed around me in the direction I was pushing. I counted 3 cars that did that. I finally got it over to the side and waited for help to arrive, which happened to be 20 minutes later and it was my Dad who I had called to tow me. Thanks Utahans for all your help.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's because you are a guy. Two things; girls won't help you cause your gender has the terrible rep to be bad, and the other guys think guys can handle it. If you were a girl, tons of people would have helped. The fact that people got antsy about it like you were holding up traffic on purpose is just pathetic.

    ReplyDelete