Thursday, June 24, 2010

Linguistic comeback

Every era has its own lingo. Sometimes the vernacular doesn’t make a lick of sense. But as the years and decades fade away, so do the weird phrases. Just like fashion, they come and go with some never coming back while others make a historic leap from history and show up in the common vocabulary again. I thought this would be fun so here are some sayings. Let me know if you know the origin of any of them. I am curious.


For Pete’s sake
Knock on wood

It’s raining cats and dogs. WHAT?!?!?!
Cool Beans- this one is just confusing
Break a Leg- oh that sounds encouraging
Whole 9 yards-isn’t it 10 for a 1st down?
Cold turkey- eww
Close but no cigar
Sleep tight- what does that mean compared to sleep loose?


These are just a few so if you have more, send them my way. Just thought it was interesting that most of these are just so confusing, if I were trying to learn the lovely language of English, I would be utterly and completely confused. Even more than I am now. Enjoy!


2 comments:

  1. These are the words of danny.. I'm commenting in his behalf.. "Back in the day, I don't know the exact day, but they had to make their own matress and they would have to stuff it with hay, and tie it up tight so it would stay through the night. So that's where the sleep tight comes from, so that it didn't fall apart." That would be the smart knowledge of Danny!

    I don't know where any of them come from but I've heard and used most of them.. In junior high I thought it was the coolest thing to say "cool beans" now I look at it and wonder where the crap it came from! Some people have farrrrr too much time on their hands. And I want to be a teacher...... Good thing it's just elementary! Right? Right!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The sleep tight thing is right on. I've heard that before as well. I only knew two of them. I don't know about any of the others but the break a leg originates from the theatre. For all of the main actors there is always an understudy. The understudy learns the same part doing the same things but is only there in case something bad happens to the main actor cast to play a part. For example what happens if the actor um I don't know breaks his leg? That is when the understudy can come out and shine. So it started as the understudies would mutter break a leg under their breath and continued until the actual term to wish someone well for stage performances is to say break a leg. If you do say good luck that is bad, and you are rude.

    ReplyDelete