Friday, June 4, 2010

If I were a rich girl...dadadadada

First of all, this is a disclaimer to all those that read this. I am not a racist, nor will I ever be. So the next few minutes of me ranting and raving aren’t projected towards any one in particular. It’s just that, me ranting and raving about how the world just isn’t fair. I am an ordinary person. Nothing outstanding about me. My IQ…well I don’t know what it is, but it’s not exceptional nor is it below par….in golf terms, isn’t below par a good thing??? Anyway, I don’t have any outstanding skills. I am just average. And average people don’t get scholarships. My family is standard, two parents at home, one working, both white. My husband and I are ordinary too. Plain. Boring. They don’t give scholarships for plain, average white folks. Maybe if I were black, brown, Asian, or got pregnant at 16 I wouldn’t have to pay an arm and a leg…and a foot and a hand and a torso, to pay for schooling. Don’t get me wrong, I know it’s harder when you are a single mother or father to support your family, and to receive your education. So go ahead, provide scholarships for this genre, but for crying out loud, the U.S.A. is such a melting pot, there is no damn thing called a minority in this country so don’t give scholarships to the “minority”. They don’t exist. Give it to those that, I am sorry to say this, but those that will actually finish school. No I don’t have numbers to back it up, but how often, I wonder, do these “minorities” get scholarships yet don’t finish their schooling. It doesn’t make any sense. Why not just have department scholarships. Give it to those going in to a program, and not make it biased based on the color of your skin. That way it’s fair to everyone and the individual’s background doesn’t influence the decision. It should be based on character and how that person is in the community and their devotion to an honest and true education. And if someone is awarded a scholarship, if they don’t graduate within a certain time frame, pay back the damn money you wasted while I was paying tens of thousands of dollars to benefit my life and my family’s life. That is all.

1 comment: