Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Grandparents

I have a very special relationship with my grandparents. None like any other. They are wonderful, adventurous, sarcastic, funny, talented, caring, loving, family oriented, hard core, hard working, determined and un-afraid of challenges. Right now they are on a mission. I am really starting to dislike these mission things. I am so family oriented that when one of these callings takes my family away from me, it breaks me into pieces. I keep most my emotions buried deep, hidden away, so that no one really knows what I am feeling and going through. It drives Brian insane. Absolutely insane. But I don’t like to cause trouble and burden others with things, so I just bury it. My grandparents have a skill that not even my parents can do. They bring those out. They allow me to share my feelings and have compassion for my trials and always, always are interested in what I have to say. They have lots’ of grandchildren. 27 I believe, but when you are with them, you feel like you are the only one and all they care about is what is going on in your life. So to say I have missed them while they have been serving at Martin’s Cove is a big understatement. When we got to our camp spot this weekend at the cove, they were there waiting for us and I leapt out of the car and ran into my grandma and grandpa’s open arms. I couldn’t give them enough hugs and wanted them to know how much I missed them. But the thing that hit me was the next day, when we were all getting ready to venture out to Annabelle’s baptism. My grandpa pulled me aside, talked to me about a few things, mentioned how he was feeling about a few things and of course I am crying as he is saying things because he just knows what was going on in my life. I hadn’t told him, no one had mentioned the things I was feeling, he just understood and saw “the obvious” as he worded it and he wasn’t even around to see it. I couldn’t believe the understanding and the love he shared with me. Knowing that I have his and my grandma’s full support in all that I do and that they recognize my accomplishments and share their pride with me gives me so much bliss. But I think the biggest thing they both do that I can’t praise enough, has been their full and complete support of Brian and the love they immediately shared with him. There was no question, he was a part of our family and he was treated exactly that way. Teased, mocked, joked around with and sarcastic. But never left out. It was never, “this is my granddaughter Sarah”. It was “this is my granddaughter Sarah and her husband Brian.” It’s funny. It’s just one simple saying, but that one inclusion of being introduced truly makes you feel welcomed and loved.
My grandma is the most resilient women I know. She is tough as nails, and will do anything to avoid attention when she has trials. While we were at Martin’s Cove, she was the only women out of 5 of us, to cross the chest high river, without being carried across! Yeah she is amazingly strong. She did this, after hiking 6 miles, and then continued to finish the next 2 miles afterwards. She thinks of her grandkids and loves them with every ounce in her blood. I love calling her and talking to her, because she is so enthralled with what is going on in your life, and remembers what’s important. It’s not the toys, the gifts or the adventures, but just the relationship. That’s what’s important.

My grandpa. Wow. I don’t know where to start. He is a tough man. Reminds me of John Wayne. Don’t ask me why. I just have always seen my grandpa when I hear or see John Wayne. For years, he was a hard, strict man, but then something happened and I think it was more me than him. He became a softy. A softy to me. Everything he does, he does for others. And he has this un-wavering care for you. I am 7 months pregnant right now, and while hiking 8 miles in the Wyoming heat, I felt his watchful eye and care for me the whole time. He would periodically ask me how I was doing, offer me a ride in a handcart and tell me to not be a hero, even though I know he knew I could handle the hike. He is a protector, and yet if you need a sincere hug and to be told “I love you” he will give it to you. His understanding ear, compassionate understanding and teasing personality is something I cannot even try to put into words. He is such an example to me and I can’t wait for Zach to get to know his great grandpa because he really is great.
Basically what it all comes down to, is I love my grandparents, love them more than anything and can’t wait to have them home again. They do so much for me, and understand my emotions, trials and way of being without me even having to say something and will always lend me their shoulder and their ear when I need it.



No comments:

Post a Comment