Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Sisters

I glance briefly at my phones screen. 1 missed call. 4 missed texts. I guess I should head home. My eyes wonder towards the clock. 2 A.M. Where did the time go?

The Ingram home.
It’s my 2nd home.
We have always been close. She is my older sister…well that’s how I consider her. When I was younger, I was her shadow…shadows don’t leave. Now that I am older, nothing has changed, except our relationship has grown even stronger. I tell her things I don’t mention to anyone else. Brian always has to tow me away from the doorframe when we babysit, otherwise we would talk into eternity. She has always been the one I have looked up to. Being the oldest child and grandchild, I only had my aunts and uncles to look up to.
Maybe it’s the closeness”ish” in age or that we both have similar personalities, but we have always had a connection. I have that bond with all of my aunts, but there is something different with Martha. We talk on a weekly basis and if I don’t visit their home in a timely manner it feels like eternity. Brian hasn’t ever had a deep relationship like I do with all my aunts and uncles so it took him some time to get acquainted to the style and closeness I share, but he was bewildered with Martha’s and my relationship. He soon was able to sneak into that shared rapport.
She is such a warm, hospitable person and wants to make sure everyone feels welcomed. I look at her life and all the stories and events she has been through growing up and today and marvel at her strength. I find myself comparing my life and future life to hers and hoping to emulate even a morsel aspect of her life in mine. I remember in the 2nd grade, I think it was the 2nd grade; we had to pick a person to bring to a presentation and show and tell that person to the class and all the other adults. I remember standing there, with Martha next to me, bragging about her to my whole class and giving her a picture and an essay I had written all about her. I felt like no one could one up me when it came to presenting my best friend.
Countless times I have been asked to hang out with friends, but I freely turn them down because I have either made a play date with her kids, or we were just hanging out. Out of all the characteristics I admire from Martha, the one that I truly hope to imitate is her child raising skills. She seriously needs to write a book. I can’t put it into words how much I respect her patience, though she doesn’t need much with her incredible children. I don’t know how she does it, or what she puts in her children’s food, but they know what NO is and what it means, and obedience soothes out of their pores. I may be exaggerating, but not much. Not much at all.
Ok, I lied there are other characteristics I appreciate, and one of the others, is her mature, fun, loving nature. She isn’t the aunt that lets you get away with anything you want. She isn’t the mean, strict aunt. She is the aunt that will take care of you without question, and have fun doing it. She is always excited to hear good news when you have it, and when you have a question or concern, her ears are open to listen and her advice is honest and caring.
The four years she was in Canada were terribly harsh. I don’t just mean the weather, but it was like my best friend had moved forever. If there comes a next time, Brian and I will be moving with her and her family. I couldn’t go without seeing her for that long again. Luckily for now, she lives just minutes from me. Hope it stays that way for a while. Love ya Martha!


No comments:

Post a Comment