Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Where I am From

My energetic, unique, skilled, near flawless sister is incredible. She recently won MVP (which to describe her is an acronym for most vivacious person) for best all around cloggest…(that’s a women clogger, yeah, it’s made up) at nationals over thousands of girls….and she did this all while having an asthma attack.... incredible I know. She dances, perfects every instrument plausible, teaches piano, cheers and is a date-a-holic. And she does all this while maintaining a perfect 4.0. I am not sure where she gets this overdose of skill, but I like to think of her as the talent hog hiding it all in a cave below her bunkbed. We always have had a relationship like non other. We think the same, speak the same and act the same. The only difference….we are nothing alike hobby wise. But there was always one thing I took pride in over her….I can write….at least I like to think I can. I give her beef and hassle her for her ability because she somehow manages to persuade my mom in writing poems and other assignments for her. Then, she whips this out. This amazing, true beyond belief, remarkable poem that I plan on fixing up in a frame and presenting it to the world on my wall. If you have had the opportunity to really get to know my siblings and me, you will know the truth of this poem. Yet only we will really know the truth, amazement, and memories that are concealed within the words of these lines.

Where I Am From

I am from a single piano key
            from George and Chef Boyardee.
I am from the one red-walled room,
            warm, cozy, and homie
            always full of laughter.
I am from the roses hanging upside down in the laundry room,
            the smell of freshly mowed grass
            on a warm summers day.
I’m from camping and sarcasm,
            from Max and Sarah.
I’m from the horrible singers and proud of it
            from, “Don’t wipe your hands on your pants!”
            and, “Could be worse, could be raining.”
I’m from having Family Home Evening every month with my whole family.
            the lesson, the laughs, and desserts
            which are my favorite part.
I’m from Ogden, Utah and England,
            and “Puff n’ Stuff” and homemade icecream.
From the movie making madness
            and the bum shuffle on the floor.
            walls covered with pictures of us,
            showing how much we care.
            we never get sick of each other.
I am from those moments that will
            follow behind me as a shadow,
            as I grow on this family tree.
-Emily George J

And after a little of my editing....there you go. Perfection in words. Love it.

No comments:

Post a Comment