Thursday, January 6, 2011

A year of knowns, and unknowns

Well it’s a new year and one filled with exciting expectations. Eric, will graduate from high school. I will finish my Bachelors. Max comes home this year. Emily turns 16. Brian turns 25. My grandparents are going on a mission, and we have a few baptisms to look forward to this year. But for now, all that seems like an eternity away. I started my student teaching experience this week, and am finding that 1st grade is extremely difficult. I am doing a 6 week stint in 1st grade and another 6 week run in 6th grade, so I will have the joyous experience to experience both extremes. I am so glad I am doing 1st grade first though. It would be so hard to go from older students then teach younger ones. There about a bizzilion transition and their attention span is about 20 minutes long. By the end of the day, I am completely exhausted and I don’t even teach the whole day yet. Luckily, I have a wonderful teacher that is so supportive and has so many great ideas for me. She makes sure I know what’s going on, and gives me many opportunities to step in and do more teacher things. It will be interesting to see how this semester goes, but I keep telling myself, 3 months! I am almost there. After doing this stupid schooling for 5 years, I am sort of getting burnt out. I am trying to decide if I should take a break after I graduate, or if I should just go out and get a job. I should be able to get a pretty good one at Bates, where I am at now; I am the only student teacher there that will be in need of a job. The other woman there already has an offer at a different school, so that would be grand. Plus the school is the top elementary in the district. It’s wonderful. Best option would be to find a part time teaching gig somewhere. I don’t know what will happen in a few months, but I am looking forward to it with excited anticipation. Hope all goes well. Wish me luck.

2 comments:

  1. Ok, I just wrote you a big long comment and then hit some stupid wrong key and it dissappeared!! ANNOYING!!
    More or less I was saying that I know who the "other woman" is! Lanette told me last Friday that you were at Bates with her! She said you're wonderful! Also, I'm jealous that it's such a great school and I'm struggling to find decent schools around here for my kiddos! Thomas has one more year of elementary then my options are soooo limited it's frustrating! Let's see a bad school or a worse one....hmmmm...

    You and your sibs are getting old!! Eric, Emily and Aly should still be the little kids running around! I can't believe Max is down to his last few months, and YOU, YOU are MARRIED! That still freaks me out a bit!

    Well, life always throws us surprises, so hold on for the ride!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah Lynette is wonderful. So supportive. I am the one having mental break downs and she lifts me right up. Crazy year ahead. Are they no private middle schools hidden somewhere? You could always try St. Joes....

    ReplyDelete