Friday, February 17, 2012

Euphoria

Breath shortened. Heart racing. Mind spinning. My grip tightens around the words. Confusion, excitement and wonder. These are just a few of the emotions and physical aspects that consume my body as I read an enjoyable book. Euphoria through the written word. It’s appreciated by few. I am one of them. It’s similar to the masons. We are elite. There is a secret understanding and appreciation of what we go through when we are so involved in a novel, the characters become family. We cry at their trials, we strive with them through their accomplishments, we admire their integrity and we hate them with an unabated vengeance for their betrayals. Reading is a joy like none other. You can continue to be a child as you read a book. The unreal happens. The unimaginable escapes into reality. It’s consuming and becomes an addictive drug. You can’t sleep till you finish, food has no claim on your stomach, and all communication with the world is lost while you are in another. I love reading. I love sharing my excitement with anyone with a willing ear. Reading and discussing, then wanting to read that same discussed book because someone picked up on something you missed. It’s like a puzzle. Can you put all the pieces together?

1 comment:

  1. Agreed. Reading rocks. Absolutely no sarcasm intended. The days when I finish a great book are the opposite of euphoric.

    ReplyDelete